The Search for the Manchurian Candidate: The CIA and Mind Control (HTML & PDF Book)
pautrey2
2013-03-07 00:17:26 UTC
The Search for the Manchurian Candidate

The CIA and Mind Control

John Marks

The Search for the Manchurian Candidate
(c)1979 by John Marks
Published by Times Books
ISBN 0-8129-0773-6
Contents

PART I
ORIGINS OF MIND-CONTROL RESEARCH

1. WORLD WAR II
2. COLD WAR ON THE MIND
3. THE PROFESSOR AND THE "A" TREATMENT

PART II
INTELLIGENCE OR "WITCHES POTIONS"

4. LSD
5. CONCERNING THE CASE OF DR. FRANK OLSEN
6. THEM UNWITTING: THE SAFEHOUSES
7. MUSHROOMS TO COUNTERCULTURE

PART III
SPELLS—ELECTRODES AND HYPNOSIS

8. BRAINWASHING
9. HUMAN ECOLOGY
10. THE GITTINGER ASSESSMENT SYSTEM
11. HYPNOSIS

PART IV
CONCLUSIONS

12. THE SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH

Author's Note

This book has grown out of the 16,000 pages of documents that the
CIA released to me under the Freedom of Information Act. Without these
documents, the best investigative reporting in the world could not
have produced a book, and the secrets of CIA mind-control work would
have remained buried forever, as the men who knew them had always
intended. From the documentary base, I was able to expand my knowledge
through interviews and readings in the behavioral sciences.
Nevertheless, the final result is not the whole story of the CIA's
attack on the mind. Only a few insiders could have written that, and
they choose to remain silent. I have done the best I can to make the
book as accurate as possible, but I have been hampered by the refusal
of most of the principal characters to be interviewed and by the CIA's
destruction in 1973 of many of the key documents.
I want to extend special thanks to the congressional sponsors of
the Freedom of Information Act. I would like to think that they had my
kind of research in mind when they passed into law the idea that
information about the government belongs to the people, not to the
bureaucrats. I am also grateful to the CIA officials who made what
must have been a rather unpleasant decision to release the documents
and to those in the Agency who worked on the actual mechanics of
release. From my point of view, the system has worked extremely well.
I must acknowledge that the system worked almost not at all during
the first six months of my three-year Freedom of Information struggle.
Then in late 1975, Joseph Petrillo and Timothy Sullivan, two skilled
and energetic lawyers with the firm of Fried, Frank, Shriver, Harris
and Kampelman, entered the case. I had the distinct impression that
the government attorneys took me much more seriously when my requests
for documents started arriving on stationery with all those prominent
partners at the top. An author should not need lawyers to write a
book, but I would have had great difficulty without mine. I greatly
appreciate their assistance.
What an author does need is editors, a publisher, researchers,
consultants, and friends, and I have been particularly blessed with
good ones. My very dear friend Taylor Branch edited the book, and I
continue to be impressed with his great skill in making my ideas and
language coherent. Taylor has also served as my agent, and in this
capacity, too, he has done me great service.
I had a wonderful research team, without which I never could have
sifted through the masses of material and run down leads in so many
places. I thank them all, and I want to acknowledge their
contributions. Diane St. Clair was the mainstay of the group. She put
together a system for filing and cross-indexing that worked beyond all
expectations. (Special thanks to Newsday's Bob Greene, whose
suggestions for organizing a large investigation came to us through
the auspices of Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc.) Not until a
week before the book was finally finished did I fail to find a
document which I needed; naturally, it was something I had misfiled
myself. Diane also contributed greatly to the Cold War chapter.
Richard Sokolow made similar contributions to the Mushroom and
Safehouse chapters. His work was solid, and his energy boundless. Jay
Peterzell delved deeply into Dr. Cameron's "depatterning" work in
Montreal and stayed with it when others might have quit. Jay also did
first-rate studies of brainwashing and sensory deprivation. Jim Mintz
and Ken Cummins provided excellent assistance in the early research
stage.
The Center for National Security Studies, under my good friend
Robert Borosage, provided physical support and research aid, and I
would like to express my appreciation. My thanks also to Morton
Halperin who continued the support when he became director of the
Center. I also appreciated the help of Penny Bevis, Hannah Delaney,
Florence Oliver, Aldora Whitman, Nick Fiore, and Monica Andres.
My sister, Dr. Patricia Greenfield, did excellent work on the
CIA's interface with academia and on the Personality Assessment
System. I want to acknowledge her contribution to the book and express
my thanks and love.
There has been a whole galaxy of people who have provided
specialized help, and I would like to thank them all: Jeff Kohan,
Eddie Becker, Sam Zuckerman, Matthew Messelson, Julian Robinson,
Milton Kline, Marty Lee, M. J. Conklin, Alan Scheflin, Bonnie
Goldstein, Paul Avery, Bill Mills, John Lilly, Humphrey Osmond, Julie
Haggerty, Patrick Oster, Norman Kempster, Bill Richards, Paul
Magnusson, Andy Sommer, Mark Cheshire, Sidney Cohen, Paul Altmeyer,
Fred and Elsa Kleiner, Dr. John Cavanagh, and Senator James Abourezk
and his staff.
I sent drafts of the first ten chapters to many of the people I
interviewed (and several who refused to be interviewed). My aim was to
have them correct any inaccuracies or point out material taken out of
context. The comments of those who responded aided me considerably in
preparing the final book. My thanks for their assistance to Albert
Hofmann, Telford Taylor, Leo Alexander, Walter Langer, John Stockwell,
William Hood, Samuel Thompson, Sidney Cohen, Milton Greenblatt, Gordon
Wasson, James Moore, Laurence Hinkle, Charles Osgood, John Gittinger
(for Chapter 10 only), and all the others who asked not to be
identified.
Finally, I would like to express my appreciation to my publisher,
Times Books, and especially to my editor John J. Simon. John, Tom
Lipscomb, Roger Jellinek, Gyorgyi Voros, and John Gallagher all
believed in this book from the beginning and provided outstanding
support. Thanks also go to Judith H. McQuown, who copyedited the
manuscript, and Rosalyn T. Badalamenti, Times Books' Production
Editor, who oversaw the whole production process.
John Marks
Washington, D.C. October 26, 1978

HTML:
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/marks.htm

PDF:
http://lilleprinsforlag.com/The%20Search%20for%20the%20Manchurian%20Candidate.pdf
Tom Keske
2013-03-07 01:43:32 UTC
Yes, that is one of the better books. It was extremely
eye-opening and confirmed exactly what I had
hypothesized on my own in trying to account for
personal experiences.

You should know that something is wrong with the picture,
when books like that are making clear the reality
and seriousness of the subject, yet the media propagandists
want to persist in perpetuating the myth that it is all
just a big joke.

Like the carefully nurtured right-wing myths
of "Big, Bad Government" or "trickle down"-
myths very much manufactured, to serve an agenda,
for their gain at your expense.

Tom Keske

⊙_⊙
2017-02-22 18:21:34 UTC