Direct quotes from: Terrorist Stalking in America (primarily composed of uneducated white males; angry blue collar workers and young people; paid for the favors they can offer with sex, drugs, alcohol or money; groups operate as cults; for hire)
⊙_⊙
2015-03-26 10:14:40 UTC
Direct quotes from: Terrorist Stalking in America (primarily composed of uneducated white males; angry blue collar workers and young people; paid for the favors they can offer with sex, drugs, alcohol or money; groups operate as cults; for hire)

http://www.multistalkervictims.org/gangstalking/terstalk_2.htm

*****

The following are direct quotes from the book:
Terrorist Stalking in America
by David Arthur Lawson*
Copyright (c) Scrambling News 2001

* David Lawson is a licensed private investigator in Florida. He followed these stalking groups, on and off, for 12 years. He also rode with them.

These quotes were originally compiled by Eleanor White, and certain portions have been removed or additional comments added. Comments are in [ ] square brackets.

Click here for original version with Eleanor's comments.

Foreword
[p vi]

Author talking:

One day, several years ago, I was sitting in my house, and checking out the activity on my scanner. I heard a woman say that she was following a certain vehicle. She gave the location, the make and model of the car and the license plate number. A few days later, I heard the same woman on the same frequency say that she needed a bit of help at a certain location and a few days after that I again heard her broadcasting the position and details about another vehicle she was following. I listened to other people talking on that frequency and they didn't give any indication that they were with any government agency but they were talking about arresting people.

On another occasion, on the same business band frequency, I heard someone complain that an African American man was crossing the street. "All we could get him for is jaywalking" responded the leader.

People in the group would discuss where they would go for supper, after their shift was over, so I [the author] went too. I listened to a group of people openly discussing various activities as if they were the police.

Real police officers were also sitting in the restaurant, listening to them. I later learned that their presence was not a coincidence.

One man who had supper with the group drove a van marked with the call letters of a local am radio station. I started listening to it. Most of the guests were people who said they had new revelations about Waco or Ruby Ridge, or had some inside story about government corruption. I also heard advertisements for the meetings of a local political group and I attended some.

At the first meeting I attended, one young man flashed a phony police badge at me. No one paid any attention. Some of those in attendance were the people I had seen in the local restaurant. This was my introduction to the creepy world of extremists.

I have observed extremist groups for several years while living in New York state, Florida, and Canada. I monitored their public communications, attended meetings, rode with them and I spoke with supporters and victims. I had lunch in the same restaurants they frequented and I listened to their conversations.

Cause stalking is one of the tactics used by these groups to intimidate their adversaries. The primary characteristic of cause stalking is that it is done by large groups of people. A target will always be followed, but he is unlikely to see the same stalkers very often.

There are a variety of types of stalking, including casual acquaintance stalking, stranger stalking, celebrity stalking, stalking of juveniles, revenge stalking, electronic stalking, serial stalking, intimate partner stalking and cause stalking. Of all these types, cause stalking affects the smallest number of victims but involves the largest number of stalkers. Many of these groups include hundreds of people. A description of the various types of stalking is given in Appendix A, at the end of this book.

Cause stalking has been used by extremist groups since the early 1990s. The basic system is alleged to have been developed by the Ku Klux Klan and refined through years of use.

The number of extremist groups across the country and the number of their supporters is small by comparison to the overall population, but it is growing, particularly in rural areas. These groups have appeal to those who have feelings of inferiority, powerlessness and anger.

Some authors refer to cause stalking as terrorist stalking. Groups do not just stalk individuals. They employ organized programs of harassment which include break-ins, property damage, assault and occasionally, even death.

The children of a target are a favorite. One extremist leader told me that his group could do whatever a target can do and go wherever he goes. "We will do anything to achieve our objective," he said.

Groups are well financed. They can afford to rent property wherever the target lives. If he drives across the country, he will be followed by supporters of similar groups in that area. If he travels by plane, group members will meet him wherever he lands. They may even accompany him on a plane if they know his travel plan, and there is a good chance that they do.

The tactics described here have been used for many years by abortion protesters on those who provide abortion services. Typically, everyone who works in a clinic is targeted. Over the years, other groups across the country have also begun to use these tactics because they are successful.

Groups describe their methods as FACT (first amendment, chaos and tactics) which they borrowed from the militia movement. These groups are a threat to our democracy because they have the capability to destroy the life of anyone they choose and his family, unless they are wealthy enough to isolate themselves. There is very little information on the tactics used by extremist groups. That is why I wrote this book. I am hoping that the revelation of their tactics will help end their use. When they are no longer a secret, they will not be effective.

Chapter 2: Who Are These People?

[p 16]

The people who are attracted to these groups which engage in cause stalking are those who feel powerless, inferior and angry. Some of them appear to have mental problems. Ordinarily, these people would be too timid to engage in stalking and harassment because they are cowards, but once they have been empowered by a group which they perceive to be all-powerful, many become addicted to it. It fulfills some of their human needs. When they are with the group the feel brave and they are bravest when they are in their vehicles. Groups are primarily composed of uneducated white males, but the appeal of these groups is so small that other races are allowed to join. There are a variety of different groups involved. A book called "Harvest of Rage, by Joel Dyer, which was published in 1998, gives an idea of the full spectrum of groups involved.

Recruits tend to be blue collar workers who are at the bottom end of the job scale. They are janitors in apartments, hotels, etc., who have keys to get in any locked doors. They are security guards, who can let fellow members into places where they would not normally be allowed to go. They are city workers, who can, in many cities, follow a target around all day in their vehicles or have a noisy project underway near his [target's] residence. They are taxi drivers, who are always on the road. They are cable, telephone and electric company employees who can interfere with a target's service and spend time on patrol with the group, while they are on the job.

Firemen across the country, and even some police departments have a long history of supporting extremist groups. Fire trucks can sometimes be seen riding in extremist convoys, with their flashing lights turned on and their sirens screaming. They will also race to greet a convoy which is entering their town. The participation of firemen, city workers and utility company workers helps give group members an illusion of legitimacy and power.

Most group members have only a general idea of the ideology of the group but
they don't particularly care. They are having fun with their friends and that fun involves stalking and harassing various targets and engaging in other civil disobedience. They believe that they are justified in engaging in these activities because of the "higher purpose" of the group.

Recruiting

Groups focus their energies on recruiting angry blue collar workers and young people. They are constantly recruiting because they have such a high turnover rate. Most recruiting is done initially on the basis that the group is a bunch of nice people to be around. Potential members are questioned about their political beliefs and the purported purpose of the group is revealed later, in stages. Then the power of the group is revealed through staged events. Staged events involve displays of the power of the group. This could involve having a fire truck and/or city and other vehicles parade past a certain location at a certain time, or having the lights to a certain part of town shut off at a certain time, or having some vehicles, boats, and trains all blow their horns at a certain time. New members are empowered by becoming "investigators". Most never know the true purpose of the group.

Many groups pay for the gas of those who "ride" with them. They also provide free towing and a restaurant meal or two. Many of those who do "ride" with these groups, do so for these benefits because they are poor, and not because they support the cause. All group members are considered to be disposable and they are used until they cannot be used any longer.

Some group members are paid for the hours they work, but they are the ones who are most destitute. These people do not run away when the police crack down on the group. The pay they receive (in cash) is much less than minimum wage and they are not paid for all the hours they work. Groups do not pay for any [traffic] tickets their members receive or for their cell phone bills.

Those in occupations which can help groups further their goals are of special interest. These include those who can control services, like phone, cable and electric company employees. City employees can be used to harass a target in many ways including tearing up the road in front of a target's home. Employees of pest control businesses who have access to the keys for apartments and those who work for alarm and locksmith companies are also of interest.

Not everyone associated with these groups is a supporter. Some individuals can be duped by appealing to their sense of patriotism. Others are paid for the favors they can offer with sex, drugs, alcohol or money. Since the groups operate as cults, members will do whatever they have to in orderto attempt to get what they need.

Another group which is of special interest for recruiting purposes is young people. Groups capitalize on their needs to belong and to be endowed with responsibility. They are given a sense of identity and belonging to a "higher purpose".

The Leaders

Group leaders derive financial and/or political power from their groups and in general they remain isolated from the activities of their followers. They identify targets through broadcasts on right wing radio stations, on the internet or in print articles. They may hold public meetings but they do not meet privately with supporters. This allows the greatest latitude for action on the part of their supporters, since they are not acting under direct orders from anyone. Leaders identify targets, but it is up to the followers to decide what to do about them.

Most of these leaders have backgrounds which are not known to their supporters. They are from "somewhere else", and there isn't much information available about them from independent sources. This provides a basis for the "larger than life" stature they assume in these groups. Many claim to have connections to the CIA or other intelligence agencies which do not reveal the
identities of their employees or ex-employees.

Chapter 3: Selection of Targets

[p 19]

Each extremist group in an area has its own targets but as stated previously, stalking groups tend to be composed of supporters of many local extremist groups. Supporters tend to move back and forth between groups which increases the level of co-operation between them.

Anti-government groups target public officials, including local politicians and bureaucrats, IRS agents, treasury agents, and activists of all kinds but especially civil rights activists, whistle blowers, etc. A whistle blower is someone who reveals wrongdoing within an organization to the public or to those in positions of authority.

Many extremist groups oppose all those who work in abortion clinics, including those who provide transportation for patients to and from the clinics and even the patients themselves. Some groups only oppose those involved in providing abortion services to white women, on the grounds they are endangering the white race.

Identity or white supremacist groups target gays, African Americans and Jewish people.

A favorite target of the anti-government groups is public officials, including police officers who have been accused of wrongdoing. They don't have to be convicted.
Groups immediately set up surveillance and try to determine how to destroy their lives. Other targets include those in the media, including radio, television, and publishing, especially those who are Jewish and those with fame, but not enough money to isolate themselves from these groups. Immigrants can also be targeted. Groups typically target any judge presiding over the trial of one of their members.

Groups also attack targets of convenience. These people are selected because they are convenient targets, and not for any other reason. These include loners who tend to be more vulnerable to their harassment tactics than those with family and friends around them. Targets of convenience are used for practice.

Another favorite target of groups is sexual predators, ... whose names, addresses, and photos are public information which is available on government web sites. Sexual predators have no support groups or protectors.

[NOTE: Article in Toronto Star about organized harassment of sexual predators, "Vigilantes Versus Pedophiles"]

In small towns, where extremist groups can actually have some power, the also target new people in town who don't know anyone. The attitude of the extremist is that they "control" their areas and unknown people can't be trusted. This can affect people who decide to move to a small area without knowing anyone there. They are chased out of town.

Animal rights activists stalk those who own fur ranches, furriers, research scientists working in the field of biomedical research using animals, executives of McDonalds, etc. Eco-terrorists focus their attention on saving nature. Their targets include politicians, loggers, etc.

[NOTE: Article in Toronto Star about organized harassment by animal rights activists, "U.K. Animal Rights Guerillas Hit Hard"]

Groups normally also attack the family, friends, and associates of a target and even the businesses he patronizes.

The operations of many extremist groups are actually financed by corporations which use them to stalk their enemies or potential enemies. The groups are used as the private armies of those corporations. Some countries kill dissidents and in others they are jailed. In the united states, someone who is threatening to corporations or industries, like a whistle blower or activist, is likely to become the target of an extremist group.

These groups do not overtly harass all their targets. If the target provides them with valuable information, like having sensitive conversations in public places, [the groups] will simply gather all the information they can and leave the target unaware. Groups have contacts in the media which they use to disseminate information about their targets. It is not unusual to see the vehicles of local television stations riding in extremist convoys.

Chapter 3: Group Structure

[p 22]

Stalking groups do not hold traditional meetings. They meet by cell phone when they are in their vehicles. Following and harassing various targets is part of their daily activities when they are on patrol. In order to avoid potential destruction of their groups, they use a concept which has been used by political and paramilitary groups for hundreds of years. A name currently used by right wing organizations is "leaderless resistance".

Leaderless resistance is used in an attempt to isolate group leaders from prosecution, while allowing their followers an unlimited operational range. Leaders identify targets to their followers through broadcasts on right wing radio stations, in print articles, or on web sites, but they never tell their followers what to do. It is up to them to decide what action is appropriate. Then they talk over their cell phones in digital two-way radio mode, they don't actually know who is listening. Anyone who knows the dial-in number can listen and current cell numbers are widely circulated among groups.

This is similar to that used by the Ku Klux Klan. They use Knightriders. Knightriders do not attend meetings or communicate in any way with group leaders. They ride around at night and "do what needs to be done".

The use of cells is not new to extremist groups. Some groups, like militias use them now for some of their illegal activities. ... cells consist of about 8 individuals and the identities of the cell members are known only to those in the cell and their immediate superior. When a cell is on patrol, one member handles the communications of the cell and he is the only link to the whole group. If he is stopped by the police he could only provide the names of those in his cell and his immediate superior ...The way cells operate makes it difficult for the police to identify members, unless they actually witness them committing a crime.

[p 24]

"Groups cloak their true identities in a variety of ways. Some are citizens groups, some are clubs, and others are churches."

Chapter 5: The Surveillance Operation

[P 25]

Groups will not purchase property to establish a presence near a target but they will rent properties near his residence or sublet apartments. They will also occupy vacant property by breaking in and using it.

Extremist groups have relationships with local gangs and other criminal groups which penetrate deeply into the communities in which they operate. The surveillance operations are often conducted by local gang members in association with group members.

In order to establish bases of operation, they will enlist the assistance of neighbors. In many areas, they can do this by intimidation. Those who do not co-operate can be targeted, which includes harassment of their families and damage to their homes and vehicles.

If they are dealing with individuals who do not know them, they can also appeal to their sense of patriotism and they can offer drugs, friendship, home repair, free taxi rides and what ever else they have to. In some cases they may even be able to get a key to the residence from a "patriotic" landlord.

Surveillance on a residence is by triangulation. They watch it from three different positions. They will use the garage, or erect shacks or sit in cars on the property of co-operating neighbors. If they have to, they will even sit in their vehicles on the street but they will do frequent trade-offs.

Surveillance is conducted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When a target leaves his residence they will alert the group, either by cell phone or by business band radio. Other members, who are patrolling the perimeter to watch for police and other vehicles driving in the area, will race to the location to begin pursuit. In small towns, where business band radio is widely used, these activities are a local sport among a small group. Anyone with a scanner can join in. Some targets have reported hearing an announcement on their scanners as soon as they turn their lights on in the morning.

Group members maintain a vigil around the target's residence. They can always find a valid reason to be there. They will mow neighbors' grass, hang around any businesses in the area, join nearby churches, join neighborhood watch associations, hold meetings at the homes of neighbors, hold neighborhood parties, deliver newspapers to people who don't subscribe to a newspaper, and whatever else they can think of. they will have co-operating neighbors hold lawn sales so their members can maintain a presence in the area. ...

In a typical apartment setting, they will attempt to lease, sublet, or otherwise have access to apartments above, below, and on both sides of the target. They will also "guard" the vehicles of a target in the parking lot. If they have occupied apartments surrounding a target, typically normal noises like toilets flushing, doors closing, people talking, etc. will not be heard. The only noises that will be heard are in response to something the target does. If he flushes a toilet, he may hear a car horn honk, the sound of a power tool or hammering, for example. There will also be a large number of people coming and going, and accompanying rowdiness and noise. Groups watch the residence with binoculars, attempting to see inside. If they can, they will time the generation of noise to movements inside the residence. If they gain entry to the residence, they will attempt to move curtains or blinds so they can see.

They will try to enlist the support of anyone who has access to the residence of a target. This includes janitorial service workers, gardeners, baby sitters, etc. in a typical apartment complex, they will probably be able to enlist the aid of one or more members of the staff and pest control personnel, who have keys. It is not uncommon of them to obtain the support of security guards who monitor security cameras. A common ruse used by these groups is that they are a "citizens group" which assists the police and they are "just keeping track" of a certain individual, for whatever reason. The illusion is reinforced by the case files they carry which are complete with photos of the target and look like those used by police.

An important element of the surveillance operation is the isolation imposed on the residence of a target. Since group members establish a perimeter around the residence and patrol it, they are alert to any marked police cars which come near it. If a target complains that numerous people are knocking on his door for peculiar reasons, they won't be around next time the police arrive. It isolation imposed on the target's residence also provides protection for other activities like drug dealing.

When extremist groups rent property around a target's residence, it is often rented by a group member of a local gang, who typically receives up to $100 a month for use of the property by the group. Group members use the property to watch the target in shifts. In other cases, no one will actually live in the residence, but there will be a steady stream of different people at all times of the day and night. [p 27]

Author's quote summing up the extremist groups' concept of themselves:

"Who are we? We drive the ambulances that take you to the emergency room. When your house is burning, we put out the fire. We are security guards. We protect you at night. You only have electricity, phone and cable service because of us. We are janitors. We have the keys. We fix your cars. You don't want to mess with us."

Chapter 6: Search and Seizure

[P 28]

"Groups typically consider themselves to be investigators who are gathering information to be used to lay charges against the target. A typical police investigation lasts a few days. An investigation by a private investigator may last a month and it may involve being followed around by two or three people. The 'investigations' conducted by extremist groups against individuals can last for decades and involve hundreds of 'investigators'. Some extremist leaders say that what they do is essentially what investigative journalists do, but they don't mention the harassment, break-ins, or property damage."

Chapter 7: Overt or Covert Operation

[P 32]

Typically, harassment tactics are not used unless a target is alone. If he is with others, group members will still surround him, but they will not reveal their presence. Many targets never experience the kind of harassment described here, because they are not alone very often. Others do not recognize that they are being harassed by an organized group. They just think that there are a lot of rude people in the world. Targets who do not experience physical harassment are still targets for other types of attacks.

Physical harassment is used when a target has no witnesses. An objective is to isolate the target from his family and friends. He can tell them about all the strange things happening around him, but they will not understand and perhaps will think he is crazy. Sometimes other members of the family will receive the same treatment. Here are the most common tactics used by groups across the country.

On the Road

When a target is driving, standard practice is to surround his vehicle and attempt to control his speed. He will not be followed in close proximity by the same vehicles for a long distance. They do frequent trade-offs. Vehicles line up behind the target for a short distance and then move out of place so the next vehicle can take over. Frequently, vehicles in the convoy will have their high beam headlights on during the day, so a target frequently have a vehicle behind him which has its headlights on.

[NOTE: In the summer of 2004, I had a driver try to force me off the road. I called 911 while he was driving up to my bumper fast and then slamming on his brakes repeatedly (even though it was an empty two lane road and I was in the righthand lane). While I was talking to the police he drove up next to me and gave me the finger, then swerved dangerously towards my car several times before speeding off ahead of me too fast for me to get his licence plate number. A couple of months later I had a limo driver parked out front of my house who randomly gave me the finger as I crossed the street on foot. A couple of days after the limo driver incident, I had a teenager do the same thing as he passed by me on foot. See Gang Stalking Slideshow for another incident. -L.]

In many parts of the country it is common to see groups of six to 30 or more vehicles driving around in convoys with their high beams on during the day. This is one of the ways a convoy can be identified. Sometimes they will also drive in formation, in a single column with vehicles spaced one car length apart. When they drive around at night, the brightness of their headlights can light up the sky.Group vehicles follow far in front of and behind the target in both directions to watch for marked police vehicles. A target knows a police vehicle is approaching when vehicles move away from him. Group members also travel on roads parallel to the road being traveled by the target, in order to intercept his vehicle when he turns.

It is not uncommon for a target traveling alone to see group members hold tissue over their noses as if there were a bad smell. They may also wave or make some gesture to attract attention.

Group members have feelings of inferiority, but when they are with their group they are fearless, especially when they are in the safety of their vehicles. This can be especially dangerous for a target because they are connected by cell phone, and they achieve group status by engaging in extreme behavior. Some groups reward a "member of the week" with a free night on the town and a limo ride.

Cutting off the target vehicle or waiting beside the road for him to pass and then pulling out in front of him are common. When this is done, other group members may attempt to be in a position to prevent him from getting out of the way of the attacking vehicle. If there is an accident the group member will have half a dozen "concerned citizens" to testify to his version of what happened.

Other vehicle related tactics include blockade, so the target vehicle cannot leave a parking lot, for example, or he is surrounded by slow moving vehicles.

Standard practice is to watch the target's vehicles and this subjects them to damage including slashed tires, scratched paint, stolen license plates, etc. Typically they would not cut the brake lines on vehicles or commit other similar acts of sabotage, but they would drain the oil or antifreeze over a period of time. If they are able to enter the vehicles, items may be removed and then returned or items may be put in the vehicles. If they can enter vehicles and the residence they may take items from the residence and put them in the vehicle and vice versa.

[NOTE: Half the oil was drained from my car when it hit 50,000 km (31,000 mi.) and was just 1 month out of warranty. The engine had to be rebuilt. The brakes were caked in so much rust that the repair shop asked if it had been sitting in water for a long time, (but there was not a spot of rust on the body). Just before the harassment escalated, someone left flowers all over my lawn and on top of my car and kept leaving pieces of garbage on my front lawn every night. The daily piece of garbage on the front lawn continued when I moved to a completely different city. (If you look at the Gang Stalking Slideshow, you will see that it is not a dirty neighbourhood.) -L.]

On Foot

A target will be followed on foot wherever he goes. Anyone can go to the same public places he goes, and they will attempt to get into any other restricted places he goes, including hospitals, places of employment, etc. It has been said that it is possible to go nearly anywhere if you have a clipboard in your hand and it is almost true. They also like to wear name badges on a lanyard, and some carry phony police badges.

Common harassment tactics used by those on foot include pen clicking, in which they repeatedly click a ball point pen, key rattling, and rattling change in their pockets while standing behind the target. Many tactics are tried and the result is observed. Those which evoke a response from the target are repeated. When a target sits anywhere in public, group members will attempt to sit behind him in order to create noise, by whatever means, including tapping their feet on the target's chair. The objective is to harass the target constantly.

Sensitization tactics, which are used to make sure the target knows he is being watched, include picture taking and filming.

Another sensitization technique is note taking. This is done when the target is stationary, for example in a restaurant. The note taker appears to take a note each time the target makes a movement, or says anything. There are happy note takers and unhappy note takers. Happy note takers find everything he says and does to be funny, while unhappy note takers find everything he says to be wrong or inappropriate.

Only certain members are allowed to establish contact with the target. Contact is not made without backup, to act as witnesses and protect one another. A target will sometimes attack a group member. Having witnesses makes it possible to have him charged or to protect the group member who is doing the harassing.

Group members will attempt to physically intimidate a target if they can, by standing very close. Swarming is a tactic which is also used. It involves totally surrounding a target so he cannot move.

Traveling

A target cannot escape by traveling. If groups know of his travel plans, and there is a good chance they do, they will have a member purchase a ticket on the same flight. Groups are not concerned with the federal laws against stalking across state lines. If they cannot get on the same plane, group members will "meet" him at whatever U.S. airport he lands at and the same pattern of stalking and harassment is continued. There is a good chance they will be able to get into his hotel room.

At Home

A common tactic use by groups is noise campaigns. Group members will drive by the target's residence or work place, honking their horns, squealing tires, and making whatever other noise they can.

They will also make noise from whatever nearby properties they have access to. Typically, they will make noise when the target goes outside. Group members will also frequently knock on his door for whatever peculiar reasons they can dream up.

In an apartment setting, targets can expect to hear tapping on the walls in the middle of the night, taps running, hammering etc. from the upper and/or lower apartments, and possibly the apartments on both sides. They will continue to "work" on these activities for as long as they can get away with them.

Group members work in shifts in apartments they have access to. They work 24 hours a day and do not take holidays. Their job is to make noise and alert the group when he leaves. This activity can last for many years.

Often they occupy a nearby apartment, part time, when the owner is not there and he receives some benefit. A target may notice someone leaving a nearby apartment when he leaves his, and arrive when he arrives. In addition, he will often be accompanied in elevators by a steady stream of different individuals who go to the apartments being used by the group.

In an apartment setting or in a house, if they have installed listening devices, or if they can maintain a close enough presence to hear sounds coming from the target's residence, it is not uncommon for a target to hear honking horns and occasionally fire engine or ambulance sirens when he uses or flushes the toilet, or makes other noise.

[NOTE: This is a common activity of the perpetrators - making a corresponding noise when someone is in the bathroom. Many gang stalking targets have reported this. -L.]

... it is not uncommon, in an apartment setting, for a target to hear someone moving from room to room as he does, from the upper or lower apartment.

A target can also expect frequent disruption of electric, phone, cable and sometimes even water service. Service will be shut off to an entire block, rather than just to the target.

Set-ups

Groups study their targets, and as a result they are fully aware of whatever weakness he may have. If he is addicted to alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex etc. They will know it and they will attempt to exploit it. Calling the police to report a drunken driver is standard practice.

Relationships

Groups attempt to interfere with any business and personal relationships which the target has. Typically, this interference involves character assassination from some anonymous individual and is not usually taken seriously by those who know the target. It can be effective with people who don't know the target.

At work, the target will also experience character assassination. If he works in any position where he has to deal with the public, there will be a steady stream of customers who complain about him. If he is a real estate agent, he will have a steady stream of prospects who occupy his time but never make an offer.

Chapter 8: Let's Pretend

[P 37]

While extremist groups tend to co-operate with each other, leaders in the extremist movement have contempt for the groups which play games of "let's pretend", because they don't really achieve anything.

The leaders of these groups pretend that they are "larger than life characters" ... with heroic backgrounds. They are looked upon with reverence by their followers. Typically their backgrounds and alleged heroism can not be independently verified, because it allegedly involves national security. They pretend that their groups are committed to bringing about some change but that is of secondary importance. Primarily they are criminal groups, which derive their financing from corporations through their relationships with other criminal groups. The sole beneficiaries are the leaders.

Supporters pretend that they are "investigators" after having been duly authorized. As "investigators", part of their jobs is to harass targets in any way they can. They pretend that they are in charge of what goes on where they live and that they can control who lives where they live.

The pretense continues in the tactics which they employ in order to succeed in their "missions". They maintain a close presence to their targets, so they can make an "arrest" when the order is given. It does not matter much that no such order is ever given.

Pretending to be police officers is a favorite. Some of them drive around in vehicles in vehicles which look just like real undercover cars which are used by the police. Some of the travel guides advise tourists not to stop for any vehicle which is not a marked police car, especially at night. They advise people to drive slowly to a nearby police station or to a store where there are other people.

Teams will typically stand around a target while he is paying for a purchase in a store, or sit near him in a restaurant. They will have the demeanor of police officers and they will talk about "police matters".

If a target is being harassed by other team members, they will "observe" the situation. They may even speak to the people who are doing the harassing. The "police" will indicate they don't like what is going on but they can't do anything about it.

Many of them will give the impression that they are police without showing a badge or stating that they are police officers, but others will claim to be police officers. Group members may also wear the uniforms of city and county workers, and telephone, cable or utility company employees, in order to get into the residence of a target, or some other place of interest to them.

They will walk around a mall, following a target, with jackets which say "Security", with their scanners, pagers and cell phones and they believe the illusion. Some targets have said that an excellent way to antagonize groups is to "disrespect" them, by "accidentally" stepping on the feet of "police" officers, laughing in their faces, "accidentally" spilling drinks on them, etc. it seems to upset their sense of reality and causes the group members to doubt themselves.Groups take revenge when a group member has been assaulted or "disrespected". That revenge can take the form of an assault on the target or damage to his property.

Group members will also pretend to be concerned citizens who notice that the target is being followed and harassed. They will attempt to engage the target in conversation, which they can later relate to the rest of the group.

Groups are rallied by the constant "victories" they "win" in the games they play with their targets. It does not matter that the targets are not playing a game or that they even know a game is being played. Since groups are introverted, their interaction with one another is more important than their interaction with a target.

Chapter 8: Influence Techniques[i.e. influence on stalking group recruits]

[p 40]

Coercive Persuasion

Read More:

http://www.multistalkervictims.org/gangstalking/terstalk_2.htm
⊙_⊙
2015-12-02 18:10:51 UTC
The most terrifying acts of life insurance fraud

NOV 02, 2015 | BY WARREN S. HERSCH

Life insurers remain on "high alert" for signs of foul play, particularly the most common types of life insurance fraud.
Life insurers remain on "high alert" for signs of foul play, particularly the most common types of life insurance fraud.
An individual dies of slow poisoning from a toxic substance inserted daily into his evening drink. A premeditated killing is staged to look like an ambushing of the deceased victim by a burglar. And a scuba diver fakes her disappearance off the coast of the Bahamas, leaving behind only a few documents to identify her.

A common thread in these scenarios is the element of death, plus something else: In each case, a life insurance policy beneficiary stands to reap (in respect to the last, in connivance with the insured) a payout on a life insurance contract.

The illustrations are also among the most common types of life insurance fraud. But intrigues that end in death -- real or staged -- aren't the only scams that worry top execs at major insurers.

Also of growing concern to the industry are cons engineered to close on a policy sale. In some cases unethical agents convince unsuspecting seniors to replace a perfectly good life policy or annuity with a new contract that pays a high commission. Or agents will inflate an applicant's net worth to sell an unnecessarily large policy.

RELATED

5 notorious, homicidal tales of life insurance fraud

These real-life horror stories involve people who murdered (or attempted to murder) others, largely to reap the life insurance benefits.
Producers also have pitched and sold health insurance policies that turned out to be life insurance contracts. (Evidently the victims, most of them seniors, weren't paying close attention to literature intended to conceal the purpose of the policy.)

In still other cases, applicants misrepresent their income replacement needs, insurable interest or heath status to get through underwriting with a favorable outcome. Often, for example, policy applicants lie when asked if they're smokers or have been hospitalized for a health condition.

Whatever the cause or motivation, scams are costing insurers staggering amounts. The Coalition against Insurance Fraud conservatively estimates that fraud across product lines at $80 billion annually. Property and casualty fraud is pegged at $32 billion each year.

In the life space, losses are also "in the billions," but precise figures are hard to come by. One reason: life insurance fraud tends to go underreported in the industry.

"Many instances of fraud are stealth scams -- nobody knows they happened," says Jim Quiggle a communications director for the coalition. "The insurers often prefer to settle cases behind the scenes with family members.

"Many life insurance scams do get reported to the state fraud bureaus," he adds. "But you don't see on a national level enough omnibus reporting to know how widespread life scams are and which types are the most endemic."

To be sure, life insurers are constantly on "high alert" for signs of foul play. That's especially true for the most widespread type of fraud: a policy beneficiary murdering the insured (typically a spouse) to collect the death benefit.

This is true even for policies with low face amounts. Case in point: Sue Basso, who romanced and lured Buddy Basso (a man with the intellect of an 8-year-old) into marrying her. She thereafter bought a $15,000 life policy -- one with a clause raising the payout to $60,000 if Buddy, the insured, died a violent death -- and named herself as beneficiary. She then recruited gang members to bludgeon him to death.

More typically, the payouts are much higher. In November of 2014, Colorado authorities charged Harold Henthorn with murdering his second wife, Toni Henthorn, by pushing her off a cliff in September of 2012 -- the date falling on the couple's 12th wedding anniversary. The alleged motive: to cash in on her $4.5 million in life insurance benefits.

"A combustible combination of greed, large dollar payoffs and resentment can lead to a murder of a spouse or close family relation," said Quiggle. "And many of the perpetrators think this is an easy crime to get away with."

That's evidently also the belief among people who fake their deaths, of which examples abound. Exhibit A: Raymond Roth, a Long Island man who in 2012 attempted to defraud his life insurance company with the aid of his son Jonathan. Less than a month after the son told authorities Roth was missing in the breakers off Jones Beach (which spurred a massive and expensive search), a traffic cop stopped the father for speeding in South Carolina.

Often, such frauds are committed by foreign nationals living in the U.S. who stage their death during a trip to their country of origin. In many third-world countries, says Quiggle, it's easy to get an underpaid bureaucrat overseas to issue falsified documents like death certificates by paying a bribe.

In such cases, life insurers often will hire outside investigators who specialize in the country of origin. The largest multinational insurers -- AIG, MetLife, Prudential Financial, among others -- may also be able to tap internal expertise to validate death claims.

When there's reason for suspicion, says Quiggle, a payout on a policy will generally be withheld pending a detailed inquiry, starting with questions about policy beneficiary's financial situation and relationship to the insured. Evidence, for example, that the beneficiary was facing financial difficulties, had a troubled marriage with the insured or aspired to a better life are sure to send up red flags at a carrier.

But it's the front-line agents who are best positioned to thwart potential scams before a policy is issued. Quiggle says producers need to be familiar with the warning signs and, in suspicious cases, alert the insurer.

"Agents need to look at policies critically," says Quiggle. "If someone on a low income is trying to buy a life policy with a huge payout, they need to ask why? Or why is a parent taking out a $500,000 life insurance policy on a child?

"Parents have killed their kids to get a payout on a life policy, he continues. "So the insurable interest should be carefully screened for potential warning signals of a tragic scam in the making."

Insurers can aid in the process by educating agents and advisors in the detection of fraud, whether sham deaths or other cases of misrepresentation. Producers can also be of service to their companies, says Quiggle, in identifying fraudulent acts -- in all of their morbid variety.

What follows are three examples of life insurance fraud: the first concerning the murder of a house maid; the second, a sham death; and the third involving a funeral director ... we'll hold off on the details 'till you get there. If we have your (morbid) interest, then read on.

Death at the hands of Irish travelers
It's not every house maid who has some $5 million in life insurance coverage. Still more unusual are insured house maids that get slain by policy owners who, doubling as beneficiaries, stand to collect on a contract's death benefit.

This unfortunate outcome befell Anita Fox in September of 2014. Hired to clean a Colleyville, Tex.-based home, the 72-year-old maid was stabbed to death there by a father-and-son duo who, unbeknownst to Fox, had purchased life insurance coverage on her life.

The accused -- Bernard and Gerard Gorman, ages 27 and 48 -- bought $1 million in whole life coverage from Fox's daughter, Virginia Buckland and her husband, Mark Buckland. Unable to maintain the premium payments, the Bucklands tapped an insurance agent, Charles Mercier, to facilitate a sale of the policy on the secondary market.

Whether by design or not, the $1 million contract ended up in the wrong hands. The Gormans are "Irish Travelers," descendants of an itinerant ethnic group, an estimated 10,000 of whom emigrated to the U.S. from Ireland in the mid-19th century. The secretive travelers are, like gypsies, often perceived as insular, anti-social and misfits; many have been implicated in criminal conduct connected with such blue-collar trades as roofing and asphalt-sealing.

And now, evidently, profiting from life insurance sales. The indictment lodged against Bernard "Little Joe" Gorman stipulates one count of murder and one count of conspiracy to murder. The younger Gorman allegedly provided a getaway car for his father who, after stalking and then knifing Fox to death, purportedly died of "natural causes" before the police could bring him into custody.

The son is now free on bail while awaiting trial. As part of the bail agreement, he's required to wear an ankle monitor.

As to the Bucklands, they're also in court, attempting in separate lawsuits to force insurers that issued about $5 million in coverage on Fox's life to disburse the policy proceeds. (The couple owned several contracts apart from the one they sold the Gormans.) The insurers are in no rush to do so. They're investigating whether Fox had advance knowledge of the policies; or, if not, whether the Bucklands are guilty of fraud.

Or else negligence. Fox's son, Al Fox III, argues in a motion that, as his mother's nearest relative, he is the "rightful recipient" of the policy proceeds. He alleges that the Bucklands are "negligently responsible for the death of the insured."

A North Carolina man fakes his death
Two years ago, Jose Salvador Lantigua traveled from the U.S. to Rio Chico, Venezuela, a seaside tourist spot. There, suffering from "mad cow disease" and burdened by debt from a failing furniture store business, he passed away. His body was thereafter cremated, the ashes scattered elsewhere in Latin America.

Or so Lantigua's "widow" asserted upon submitting his death claim, thereby securing $9 million in life insurance benefits on multiple policies in his name. Turns out, however, that Lantigua, a Cuban-born native and resident of Jacksonville, Fla., is very much alive and kicking.

Proof-positive arrived when he showed up last March in an Asheville, N.C. federal courtroom, shackled and sporting a brown prison uniform, to face trial for the sham death. The charges, according to the Associated Press, included one count for falsifying a statement on a passport application, 7 counts for filing fraudulent insurance claims, plus one count for scheming to fraud.

The ruse worked for a time. Unfortunately for Lantigua, insurance investigators uncovered evidence that failed to jibe with the death claim. A man matching Lantigua's description had been sighted by a construction worker after 2013. Also suspicious was Latigua's passport application: It shows the name of an African-American man, but the Social Security number of a deceased white woman.

The scheme came to an end earlier this year when authorities used facial recognition technology to identify Lantigua. Though still living in Asheville, he visited his wife's Blue Ridge Mountains home in Sapphire, North Carolina. The basement of the house, equipped with a hidden room and 20-inch-thick steel walls, may have been used as part of a "back-up plan" to protect Lantigua and the millions in life insurance proceeds, according to an attorney not connected with the case.

If convicted of the charges against them, Lantigua and his wife (Daphne Simpson) will be spending long days inside another set of thick walls. In the interim, the defrauded parties are doing what they can to recover assets lost in the scheme.

In a separate civil lawsuit, Florida Capital Bank claims that Lantigua still owes the financial institution $500,000 for using a fraudulent check to purchase a house and car. The bank earlier recovered $800,000 on a $1.6 million loan extended to Lantigua by foreclosing on his failing business, Circle K Furniture. To secure the remaining $500,000, the bank is now attempting to take possession of the Jacksonville Beach, Fla.-based home of his daughter, Christina Lantigua.

A scene of utter chaos and disarray
The work of funeral directors is straightforward enough. They provide emotional support to the bereaved, arrange for removal of a deceased's body, prepare the remains, file death certificates and process other legal documents.

The occupation is, in short, not typically the kind that lends itself to front-page headlines. Yet, one funeral director recently found himself high up in the news -- and not in a good way.

William Ryder, director of a former Massachusetts-based funeral home, pled guilty in July to 61 criminal counts, most of them for larceny. He now faces new charges resulting from civil complaints by 9 customers against his business.

How did Ryder land himself in so much trouble? A state district attorney slapped him with 56 counts of the most serious charge, larceny, for embezzling over $375,000. The money represented premiums paid by 70 customers for "pre-need funeral arrangements."

As it turns out, however, Ryder redirected the funds into a business account. To boot, he forged the signing of life (funeral) insurance applications on behalf of his wife, Susan Ryder, a licensed agent for Columbian Life Insurance Co. Commissions the insurer paid her for the policy sales over a 10-year period totaled more than $100,000.

The crimes might have been viewed a tad less severely if the ill-gotten funds had at least been put to some positive use in the business. Alas, that was not to be.

State regulators who visited the Ryder Funeral Home last July found the establishment in "utter disarray." According to a July 25 article appearing the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Alan Van Tassel, an investigations supervisor with the state Division of Professional Licensure, found some 30 boxes of unclaimed ashes, including those of a woman who had been cremated in 1966.

The mess extended to steamer trunks, suitcases and other items that, according to Van Tassel's report, "dirt" and "grime" had discolored; an empty space featuring "enormous dusty webs" from ceiling to floor; first-floor rooms that were "beyond any hope of cohesion," and documents of deceased clients that were "scattered everywhere."

So much for record-keeping. After surveying the devastating scene, Van Tassel told the Gazette, he needed to step outside to catch a breath of fresh air. You might do the same yourself -- there's more.

Namely, the stench of death. A state funeral home investigator who initially delved into the case on May 28, 2014 found 7 decomposing bodies and two embalmed ones in several rooms and garages.

The investigator's discoveries, made with Ryder in tow, roused the funeral director, but in ways you might not expect. Rather than invoking in him, say, expressions of anger, denial or fear on being questioned, he responded with "disjointed" and "unfocused" answers. And he seemed not to understand the "severity of the situation."

Indeed, Van Tassel noted in his report, Ryder appeared "anxious to please, and was absolutely cooperative, but was wholly ineffectual in both due to his inability to properly answer questions or to understand expectations."

Perhaps -- neither Van Tassel nor reporters covering the story speculated on this -- Ryder became so overwhelmed (possessed even?) by the morbid business that he came unhinged.

http://www.lifehealthpro.com/2015/11/02/the-most-terrifying-acts-of-life-insurance-fraud
⊙_⊙
2016-01-09 13:09:57 UTC
XXIIIx